Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Now We Are 30

I'm Thirty today. Honestly, I thought this would be a much more difficult transition than it was. I guess that is because life doesn't actually have "transitions". Life is about things that happen. Things people say and do and things that one says and does in response. "Transition" is a word people use about their lives when they are convinced that their perception of their own lives is significant enough to measure the future (again as they suppose it will be, as they perceive it to be) against the past. That is ludicrous. I can look back on life and say I was going through a transition back then, but I cannot say I'm in a transition. I would have to know what I'm transitioning to. Thirty may be exactly like twenty-nine for all I know. In fact, it is likely to be very much the same.

Don't get me wrong, I celebrate the mile-markers of life. I just have to remind myself that life is divided into sections, eras, that do not necessarily map on to specific years of life.

I've spent 30 years on the Earth. That is something, but I think I am in the middle of an era of my life, not at the beginning.

No comments: